The Shanti Legacy Society & Legacy Gifting
Shanti invites you to join our Legacy Society.
Legacy, “planned,” gifts are an important source of income and sustaining support for our organization. We are honored to have received many Legacy gifts from our generous donors over the years – both large and small. Every gift helps to enhance the quality of life, health and well-being of people living with life-threatening illnesses and these gifts allow us to invest in the future. By becoming a member of the Society, you are investing in Shanti and contributing to its celebrated legacy in San Francisco.
Legacy Society members may designate their planned gift to be used for Shanti’s annual operating needs or for our board-advised Opportunity Fund, in which case their gift will be wisely invested to provide support for special initiatives to sustain Shanti’s future. A planned gift provides tax advantages to the donor, just as it benefits Shanti.
Legacy Society members are honored in our semi-annual newsletter, Shanti Voices, and on our website. Members will also be invited to attend our annual Legacy Society event, as well as other Shanti special events. Members may choose to be acknowledged publicly or remain anonymous.
There are many ways to become a Member of the Legacy Society and assure Shanti’s future through your estate planning.
- You can make a bequest by naming Shanti in your will or living trust. This gift can be for a specific dollar amount or for a percentage of your estate. Or, you can leave a specific asset to Shanti, such as real estate, valued artwork, or collectibles.
- You can name Shanti as the beneficiary of all or a percentage of proceeds from a Life Insurance or Annuity Policy.
This is typically easily done through your insurer or their agent.
- You can name Shanti as the beneficiary of all or a percentage of your IRA or Retirement Plan. There are substantial tax benefits associated with making Shanti a beneficiary of your retirement-type accounts—those funds are usually taxable when withdrawn by the owner or the owner’s heirs, but are not taxed when left to charitable organizations, such as Shanti.
- You can make a gift through a tax-advantaged structure such as a Charitable Lead Trust or Charitable Remainder Trust, more involved gift planning options that your tax and estate planners can advise you on.
- Another way to support Shanti is to establish a simplified charitable endowment account, where you make a contribution to the account (and immediately realize the tax deduction of the contribution), and then can direct gifts to charities from the account over time. These are easily done through many investment/brokerage companies.
The Shanti Project is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our Federal Tax Identification Number is: 94-2297147.
To download Confidential Bequest Intention Form click HERE.
Please note that Shanti does not provide legal or tax advice. We strongly suggest that you contact your estate planning attorney and tax advisor for legal advice and tax advice when doing your estate and gift planning.
To learn more about the Legacy Society, and Legacy Gifting, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-674-4700.